Random Flights

Aviation-related items that really don't fit any other category on this blog.

1. PIMP MY VIGILANTE! A past kitbash all y'all might appreciate!

by , 10-29-2010 at 09:21 PM (The Chicken Works: The Aviation Art of JP Santiago)
    This was one of my favorite kitbash projects of all time. I used the ARII 1/144 scale RA-5C Vigilante kit as the basis for what a modernized heavy attack Vigilante might look like. I won first in the scale back around 2001 at the North Central Texas IPMS show.

Overview shot. Basically it has the following features:

-Reprofiled nose radome for the terrain-following/attack radar ...
  2. Google Earth + Aeronautical Charts + 3D Airspace = UBERCOOLNESS

by , 10-21-2009 at 11:16 PM (The Chicken Works: The Aviation Art of JP Santiago)
    Link: http://www.wikihow.com/Overlay-Secti...n-Google-Earth

This is awesome. The nice part is that this also includes terminal area charts and flyways. And though the presentation is a bit rough, they also used Google SketchUp to do 3D representations of Class B airspace which really helps visualize that whole upside down wedding cake layout:

This is Las Vegas' Class ...
  3. One of the most beautiful aviation photos ever taken...

by , 10-04-2009 at 10:48 PM (The Chicken Works: The Aviation Art of JP Santiago)

Avro Vulcan B.1 in white antiflash colors...that's damn sexy, boys.

Trivia: The white antiflash paint used on the Avro Vulcans when they first entered service is the exact same paint used on the Concordes, made by Cellon Ltd, which was founded in the UK in 1911. The formulation that was used for the Vulcans was found to be ideal for heat dissipation on the Concorde.
  4. Inexpensive frames for 6 x 18 inch prints

by , 09-14-2009 at 11:20 AM (The Chicken Works: The Aviation Art of JP Santiago)
    I've gotten questions regarding how I display my 6 x 18 inch prints and had posted this in the Airlinebuzz forum but I think it's worth sharing with everyone who follows my blog .

I recently found some very inexpensive but nice looking frames for my 6 x 18 inch prints:

I found these at Michael's for less than $10- the frame is black wood, glass front. I didn't use a mat for this, ...
    Categories
    Random Flights
  5. SHOW: Supercon 2009 (this Saturday, 9/12/09)

by , 09-09-2009 at 09:46 AM (The Chicken Works: The Aviation Art of JP Santiago)
    I will be at Supercon 2009 in Arlington, TX, this Saturday with my artwork. Supercon is a scale model show hosted by the Fort Worth IPMS group. They are working to get me set up next to the What-If SIG tables as some of what I am interested in overlaps with their aviation interests.

From their informational flyer:

IPMS Fort Worth Scale Modelers Supercon 2009 Saturday, September 12th Bob Duncan Community Center (Vandergriff Park) 2800 S Center St Arlington, TX 76014-2018
    Tags: supercon Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Random Flights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast